Home SK - Stocks, Property, Investment Chamas - Investment Groups BIZ - Small Business Soko - Market Wazua Life About Wazua
SIGN IN REGISTER
Monday, Sep 21, 2020
Investor
We’re investing funds for profit. Join us and wazua!
LATEST DISCUSSIONS
Kenya Power HY 2019 [261]
Stanlib Fahari I-Reit FY 2019 [36]
Why dustbowl is the future [653]
Kenya Airways...why ignore.. [15081]
KenGen HY 2019 [577]
Madness at the NSE [2328]
NMG FY 2018 and Beyond [171]
KCB buy buy buy [1236]
Trading: Commodities, Equities, Forex, Crypto Etc [1]
Speculating in cryptocurrencies: A rough approach [327]
Banque de Kigali [474]
Safaricom 2019/2020 [414]
Potential merger NIC + CBA [262]
Sanlam Kenya [12]
2021 Dividend Draught Projections [9]
 
Forum Jump








Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

15 Pages«<131415
Thika Road Expansion was a Mistake
iris
#281 Posted : Monday, April 09, 2018 3:43:41 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 9/11/2014
Posts: 226
Location: Nairobi
wukan wrote:
hardwood wrote:
shiznit wrote:
hardwood wrote:
iris wrote:
chiaroscuro wrote:
mukiha wrote:
If they had asked me, I'd have suggested that we spend all that money in improving the railway link between Thika and Nairobi.

The problem is not the size of the road; it is the number of cars using it. The way to reduce this number is to provide an good alternative to road transportation.

Watch this space: as soon as the expanded highway is opened, the traffic jams will return. Simple reason being that people will have moved from Nairobi to Thika enmase

Have you seen the developments going on along this highway...all waiting for it to open?



Amazing...8 years later


There are really smart people in Kenya. Problem is that they will never be consulted.


So how do you use the train if you live in roysambu, roasters, pangani etc?



That was his point, really. An improved railway link would have connected these suburbs. In cities like Jo'burg and Pretoria, there is a bus-feeder system that ferries train passengers from suburbs that are away from the train stations to the train station at a subsidized cost. Improve train wagons and engines, revamp train stations and the actual railway line, and establish a bus feeder system.

Thika Road admittedly needs a relief system from an alternate transport form.


The nearest railway station to roysambu is in mwiki or githurai. So how many will board the subsidised buses to mwiki to catch the train to town?

You should note that the current reli was built by colonialists for their use to move goods between nairobi and thika, nanyuki/laikipia and that was before roads were built. It's routing is inappropriate for current urban transport. Therefore putting new locomotives and wagons may not help solve the problem. If we are to use reli for urban transport, the only way out is to build a new commuter rail that serves the residential areas or an elevated reli along the major roads. The chinese have built elevated parts of sgr. So there would be no problem doing the same along the major roads ie. thika road, waiyaki way, ngong rd, mbs road etc.



The patterns of settlement will have to change to follow the transport nodes. In most cities once the major transport link like the light rail is done, people shift to live near the transport node. Transport should not follow people to their settlements which is what out para-transit matatus have done. The light rail system being developed will have the effect of discouraging settlements in some areas.

Secondly building elevated reli would be a disaster on the urban landscape. Elevated reli would act as a barrier and discourage human interactions. In other parts of the world elevated reli and highways within the urban areas are being knocked down. Elevated reli would only invite the homeless to live under and also a place for rubbish and public urinals. That's the reason the world bank refused to build the elevated Uhuru highway.

This idea of living in the suburbs then insisting on clogging the streets with cars is what kills the urban core. Wahindis have been living and working on kirinyaga road, westlands and ngara. 7 out of 10 Nairobians opt for public transport. The 30% should tells us what makes them special


Which public transport? My guess is that you can safely be excluded from the smart Kenyans that could be consulted to improve transport system.

iris
#282 Posted : Monday, April 09, 2018 3:49:00 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 9/11/2014
Posts: 226
Location: Nairobi
hardwood wrote:
iris wrote:
chiaroscuro wrote:
mukiha wrote:
If they had asked me, I'd have suggested that we spend all that money in improving the railway link between Thika and Nairobi.

The problem is not the size of the road; it is the number of cars using it. The way to reduce this number is to provide an good alternative to road transportation.

Watch this space: as soon as the expanded highway is opened, the traffic jams will return. Simple reason being that people will have moved from Nairobi to Thika enmase

Have you seen the developments going on along this highway...all waiting for it to open?



Amazing...8 years later


There are really smart people in Kenya. Problem is that they will never be consulted.


So how do you use the train if you live in roysambu, roasters, pangani etc?


Perhaps shifting goods and human traffic from say Thika and beyond to rail could create less traffic foy Roysambu/Pangani dwellers
KulaRaha
#283 Posted : Monday, April 09, 2018 3:58:18 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 7/26/2007
Posts: 6,479
Quote:
There are really smart people in Kenya. Problem is that they will never be consulted.


Tano tena...we have Sonko...don't worry, everything will be fixed yo!
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
wukan
#284 Posted : Monday, April 09, 2018 4:34:26 PM
Rank: Veteran


Joined: 11/13/2015
Posts: 1,448
iris wrote:


Which public transport? My guess is that you can safely be excluded from the smart Kenyans that could be consulted to improve transport system.



Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly isorite...lemme continue planning for retirement
murchr
#285 Posted : Monday, April 09, 2018 4:46:18 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 2/26/2012
Posts: 15,754
chiaroscuro wrote:
hardwood wrote:
shiznit wrote:
hardwood wrote:
iris wrote:
chiaroscuro wrote:
mukiha wrote:
If they had asked me, I'd have suggested that we spend all that money in improving the railway link between Thika and Nairobi.

The problem is not the size of the road; it is the number of cars using it. The way to reduce this number is to provide an good alternative to road transportation.

Watch this space: as soon as the expanded highway is opened, the traffic jams will return. Simple reason being that people will have moved from Nairobi to Thika enmase

Have you seen the developments going on along this highway...all waiting for it to open?



Amazing...8 years later


There are really smart people in Kenya. Problem is that they will never be consulted.


So how do you use the train if you live in roysambu, roasters, pangani etc?



That was his point, really. An improved railway link would have connected these suburbs. In cities like Jo'burg and Pretoria, there is a bus-feeder system that ferries train passengers from suburbs that are away from the train stations to the train station at a subsidized cost. Improve train wagons and engines, revamp train stations and the actual railway line, and establish a bus feeder system.

Thika Road admittedly needs a relief system from an alternate transport form.


The nearest railway station to roysambu is in mwiki or githurai. So how many will board the subsidised buses to mwiki to catch the train to town?

You should note that the current reli was built by colonialists for their use to move goods between nairobi and thika, nanyuki/laikipia and that was before roads were built. It's routing is inappropriate for current urban transport. Therefore putting new locomotives and wagons may not help solve the problem. If we are to use reli for urban transport, the only way out is to build a new commuter rail that serves the residential areas or an elevated reli along the major roads. The chinese have built elevated parts of sgr. So there would be no problem doing the same along the major roads ie. thika road, waiyaki way, ngong rd, mbs road etc.




Kwani "improving the rail link" nikufanya nini?



The Nairobi commuter rail plans are gathering dust at the mayor's sorry governors office. There's a dedicated thread on wazua on that btw.

Many Nairobians think Thika road serves just Nairobi - Thika and anything in between these two towns only. May be the problem was brought about by the naming of the road, the road as it were would never serve the northern part of the country if it remained the way it was back in the 2000s. One accident on either side of the road meant sleeping there.

By the way, A2, the section known as Thika road is not grand, there's nothing spectacular about it just abit* modern and then made worse by the constant pedestrian crossing and bumps introduced by office dwellers who didnt want to think. Even countries that have great commuter rail systems are still served by good roads(think London).

It is true, Nairobians expanded and lived by the roads towards Thika but is the problem the road or the design of the city? Why should every vehicle going to the CBD converge at A2?

Nairobi needs to be redesigned, not even the BRT or rail system can solve the mess
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
.
Cornelius Vanderbilt
#286 Posted : Tuesday, April 10, 2018 4:43:04 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 8/15/2015
Posts: 817
to think that the bridges were not build because money was eaten then to think that they will eat again with the inflated bill for building the same bridges make my head spin outta control...
Lolest!
#287 Posted : Tuesday, April 10, 2018 6:45:11 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 3/18/2011
Posts: 12,045
Location: Kianjokoma
Stiffler wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
There is traffic because many residents want to drive themselves to work.

Wont change significantly even with improved railway



Many residents drive to work, because the public transport as it is, is unreliable, insecure and congested...

Ours us a socialisation problem! I have to be seen driving, not alighting from bus/train
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Users browsing this topic
Guest
15 Pages«<131415
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Home | . .. Investor | .. . Groups | .. . SME | . . . Market | .. . Club SK | . ..... About Wazua | . .. Search | . ..Sitemap | . ..Support | . ..Disclaimer | . ..Privacy Policy | . ..Terms of Use | . .. Contact Us
Copyright © 2020 Wazua.co.ke. All Rights Reserved.