Home SK - Stocks, Property, Investment Chamas - Investment Groups BIZ - Small Business Soko - Market Wazua Life About Wazua
SIGN IN REGISTER
Thursday, Jun 4, 2020
Investor
We’re investing funds for profit. Join us and wazua!
FEATURE  

LATEST DISCUSSIONS
Investors Lounge [5404]
Banque de Kigali [472]
Mumias Sugar huge demand [2832]
411 on dividend and AGM [842]
Value Investing doesn',t work anymore [82]
Kenya Airways...why ignore.. [14853]
Potential merger NIC + CBA [219]
KCB buy buy buy [1168]
Safaricom 2019/2020 [332]
Playing the Crypto Market: A Post-Halving Resoluti... [4]
Speculating in cryptocurrencies: A rough approach [260]
Why dustbowl is the future [447]
Options for Highspeed home Internet outside Major ... [7]
Kenya Economy Watch [2522]
Elliott Wave Analysis Of The NSE 20 [3496]
 
Forum Jump








Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Amana Capital 'drinks clients money water'
Coolbull
#1 Posted : Friday, January 17, 2020 12:13:49 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 10/23/2007
Posts: 596
Very unfortunate, clients money has just been lost.

Amana Capital makes clients money drink water
Jimmii
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 7:31:05 AM
Rank: New-farer


Joined: 10/29/2018
Posts: 13
Location: Nairobi
They put 20% of the fund capital in one client(Nakumatt) whose financial status wasn't really transparent, it seems all risk analysis was flushed down the drain
Jimmii
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 7:33:39 AM
Rank: New-farer


Joined: 10/29/2018
Posts: 13
Location: Nairobi
Jimmii wrote:
They put 20% of the fund capital in one client(Nakumatt) whose financial status wasn't really transparent, it seems all risk analysis was flushed down the drain


In 2013, a certain local bank(foreign owned) totally refused to touch the really juicy deals from Nakumatt, Chase bank and KQ even with a 100 foot pole, we all thought the bank was acting crazy and proud. 3 years later, Chase went down, Nakumatt & KQ troubles started and banks lost money. Proper risk analysis works, but in Kenya we are used to ignoring simple rules(overlapping kwa traffic) and taking shortcuts -it's the Kenyan way
Ericsson
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 8:04:19 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/4/2009
Posts: 8,395
Location: NAIROBI
Jimmii wrote:
Jimmii wrote:
They put 20% of the fund capital in one client(Nakumatt) whose financial status wasn't really transparent, it seems all risk analysis was flushed down the drain


In 2013, a certain local bank(foreign owned) totally refused to touch the really juicy deals from Nakumatt, Chase bank and KQ even with a 100 foot pole, we all thought the bank was acting crazy and proud. 3 years later, Chase went down, Nakumatt & KQ troubles started and banks lost money. Proper risk analysis works, but in Kenya we are used to ignoring simple rules(overlapping kwa traffic) and taking shortcuts -it's the Kenyan way


That is Barclays bank
Balaa
#5 Posted : Monday, January 20, 2020 10:26:39 AM
Rank: Member


Joined: 7/6/2018
Posts: 125
Location: Kinshasa
Reginald (@Kadzutu) Tweeted:
@hervegogo @RichFrontiers @alykhansatchu @AmanaCapitalKE @Nakumatt @AnneGaitha Left Amana in June last https://t.co/ED08Tm1xjt's an issue with one fund only from 2014 when an purchase was made in e nakumatt CP of 10% of that fund&affects guys who were in tht fund before Dec 2017.Becoz of reduction in fund value the %of CP increases.but issue is being sorted https://twitter.com/Kadz...1218364027002327041?s=20
Balaa
#6 Posted : Monday, January 20, 2020 10:30:51 AM
Rank: Member


Joined: 7/6/2018
Posts: 125
Location: Kinshasa
Balaa wrote:
Reginald (@Kadzutu) Tweeted:
@hervegogo @RichFrontiers @alykhansatchu @AmanaCapitalKE @Nakumatt @AnneGaitha Left Amana in June last https://t.co/ED08Tm1xjt's an issue with one fund only from 2014 when an purchase was made in e nakumatt CP of 10% of that fund&affects guys who were in tht fund before Dec 2017.Becoz of reduction in fund value the %of CP increases.but issue is being sorted https://twitter.com/Kadz...218364027002327041?s=20


Fyi Amana's a sinking ship. Their Chief Investment Officer ( Reginald Kadzutu) who had defended the fund's investment strategy at AGMs jumped ship in August 2019. Be afraid!
maka
#7 Posted : Monday, January 20, 2020 10:47:43 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 4/22/2010
Posts: 11,340
Location: Nairobi
Balaa wrote:
Balaa wrote:
Reginald (@Kadzutu) Tweeted:
@hervegogo @RichFrontiers @alykhansatchu @AmanaCapitalKE @Nakumatt @AnneGaitha Left Amana in June last https://t.co/ED08Tm1xjt's an issue with one fund only from 2014 when an purchase was made in e nakumatt CP of 10% of that fund&affects guys who were in tht fund before Dec 2017.Becoz of reduction in fund value the %of CP increases.but issue is being sorted https://twitter.com/Kadz...218364027002327041?s=20


Fyi Amana's a sinking ship. Their Chief Investment Officer ( Reginald Kadzutu) who had defended the fund's investment strategy at AGMs jumped ship in August 2019. Be afraid!



Such people should be jailed... Anyway this is Kenya play on....
possunt quia posse videntur
Chaka
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 21, 2020 9:10:33 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 2/16/2007
Posts: 2,114
Balaa wrote:

Fyi Amana's a sinking ship. Their Chief Investment Officer ( Reginald Kadzutu) who had defended the fund's investment strategy at AGMs jumped ship in August 2019. Be afraid!

Where did he go to(lest he takes that strategy there)?
maka
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 21, 2020 9:48:04 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 4/22/2010
Posts: 11,340
Location: Nairobi
Chaka wrote:
Balaa wrote:

Fyi Amana's a sinking ship. Their Chief Investment Officer ( Reginald Kadzutu) who had defended the fund's investment strategy at AGMs jumped ship in August 2019. Be afraid!

Where did he go to(lest he takes that strategy there)?


Most likely freelancing... No wonder he brazenly talked about the shilling being overvalued....Made those comments as CIO then bounced.
possunt quia posse videntur
Angelica _ann
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 21, 2020 10:01:44 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/7/2012
Posts: 11,481
maka wrote:
Chaka wrote:
Balaa wrote:

Fyi Amana's a sinking ship. Their Chief Investment Officer ( Reginald Kadzutu) who had defended the fund's investment strategy at AGMs jumped ship in August 2019. Be afraid!

Where did he go to(lest he takes that strategy there)?


Most likely freelancing... No wonder he brazenly talked about the shilling being overvalued....Made those comments as CIO then bounced.


Something Opus Dei never wants to hear. Has put gag on such comments by local dealers and managers.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Balaa
#11 Posted : Tuesday, January 21, 2020 10:02:59 AM
Rank: Member


Joined: 7/6/2018
Posts: 125
Location: Kinshasa
maka wrote:
Chaka wrote:
Balaa wrote:

Fyi Amana's a sinking ship. Their Chief Investment Officer ( Reginald Kadzutu) who had defended the fund's investment strategy at AGMs jumped ship in August 2019. Be afraid!

Where did he go to(lest he takes that strategy there)?


Most likely freelancing... No wonder he brazenly talked about the shilling being overvalued....Made those comments as CIO then bounced.


Bumped into him at our company pension meeting just after he bounced. His business card says he's now Project Head (Pension, insurance & savings solutions) at Zamara Group. I'd been so critical of Amana's investment strategy back in his days during AGMs, so he couldn't engage me for small talk.
maka
#12 Posted : Tuesday, January 21, 2020 10:24:47 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 4/22/2010
Posts: 11,340
Location: Nairobi
Balaa wrote:
maka wrote:
Chaka wrote:
Balaa wrote:

Fyi Amana's a sinking ship. Their Chief Investment Officer ( Reginald Kadzutu) who had defended the fund's investment strategy at AGMs jumped ship in August 2019. Be afraid!

Where did he go to(lest he takes that strategy there)?


Most likely freelancing... No wonder he brazenly talked about the shilling being overvalued....Made those comments as CIO then bounced.


Bumped into him at our company pension meeting just after he bounced. His business card says he's now Project Head (Pension, insurance & savings solutions) at Zamara Group. I'd been so critical of Amana's investment strategy back in his days during AGMs, so he couldn't engage me for small talk.


Interesting... Musical chairs.
possunt quia posse videntur
passiveinvestor
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 05, 2020 10:14:13 AM
Rank: Member


Joined: 12/8/2006
Posts: 103
maka wrote:
Balaa wrote:
maka wrote:
Chaka wrote:
Balaa wrote:

Fyi Amana's a sinking ship. Their Chief Investment Officer ( Reginald Kadzutu) who had defended the fund's investment strategy at AGMs jumped ship in August 2019. Be afraid!

Where did he go to(lest he takes that strategy there)?


Most likely freelancing... No wonder he brazenly talked about the shilling being overvalued....Made those comments as CIO then bounced.


Bumped into him at our company pension meeting just after he bounced. His business card says he's now Project Head (Pension, insurance & savings solutions) at Zamara Group. I'd been so critical of Amana's investment strategy back in his days during AGMs, so he couldn't engage me for small talk.


Interesting... Musical chairs.

https://www.the-star.co....n-amana-capital-report/
To be fair, he had probably joined before discovering how thick things were with their actual portfolio. Think he only worked for 1 year. Howver, the above analysis gives me pause.
Coolbull
#14 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2020 12:01:08 AM
Rank: Member


Joined: 10/23/2007
Posts: 596
Did anyone recover their money from this? Ama it's Corona-d?
Balaa
#15 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2020 7:17:35 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 7/6/2018
Posts: 125
Location: Kinshasa
Coolbull wrote:
Did anyone recover their money from this? Ama it's Corona-d?


I just received a statement showing a significant reduction in my balance. No details to show a write off as they only show an opening balance as at 01.01.2020. At this rate even CMA can't be trusted to protect clients despite their strong worded press issues cautioning investors to put money only in CMA-regulated firms. Lots of BS!! I mean, what can they do when the damage is already done? Take control of your own finances people; in other words, be your own Fund Manager-cum-Regulator.
Angelica _ann
#16 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2020 7:54:26 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/7/2012
Posts: 11,481
Balaa wrote:
Coolbull wrote:
Did anyone recover their money from this? Ama it's Corona-d?


I just received a statement showing a significant reduction in my balance. No details to show a write off as they only show an opening balance as at 01.01.2020. At this rate even CMA can't be trusted to protect clients despite their strong worded press issues cautioning investors to put money only in CMA-regulated firms. Lots of BS!! I mean, what can they do when the damage is already done? Take control of your own finances people; in other words, be your own Fund Manager-cum-Regulator.


CMA has not helped any small investors at all, members club plus old money. Investment in any sector in Kenya, you are on your own - regulators are very useless.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
VituVingiSana
#17 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2020 8:31:13 PM
Rank: Chief


Joined: 1/3/2007
Posts: 17,005
Location: Nairobi
Angelica _ann wrote:
Balaa wrote:
Coolbull wrote:
Did anyone recover their money from this? Ama it's Corona-d?


I just received a statement showing a significant reduction in my balance. No details to show a write off as they only show an opening balance as at 01.01.2020. At this rate even CMA can't be trusted to protect clients despite their strong worded press issues cautioning investors to put money only in CMA-regulated firms. Lots of BS!! I mean, what can they do when the damage is already done? Take control of your own finances people; in other words, be your own Fund Manager-cum-Regulator.


CMA has not helped any small investors at all, members club plus old money. Investment in any sector in Kenya, you are on your own - regulators are very useless.

Former CMA CEO now appointed the COO of the CMA Chairman's company.
The former CMA CEO approved several deals in which the chairman had significant interests.
Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Jimmii
#18 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2020 9:38:14 PM
Rank: New-farer


Joined: 10/29/2018
Posts: 13
Location: Nairobi
A client on Amana received the below communication, yes their "money drank water"

=====================

Below are extract of minutes and resolutions passed during the extra ordinary general meeting held on 28th February 2020.

Update on Class A Shares

Following the directive from CMA in August 2018 to impair the Nakumatt Holdings CP (NHL CP) within two (2) financial years effective on 31st December 2018 and further due to the outcome of the Nakumatt creditors decision to liquidate the retailer, and subsequent communication during the last Extra ordinary meeting held on 28th February 2020, the Class A shares has been impaired.

Update on Class B Shares

The moratorium Period on Class B of the Amana Shilling Fund was extended by a further six (‘6’) months up to and including September 6, 2020. During the moratorium period, the interest from investments will continue to be accrued and will be distributed at the end of the moratorium period based on the realized amounts.

Creation of Class C Shares

Class C was created for any new contributions from existing and new clients during the moratorium period. Contributions made from 15th January till the end of the moratorium period will be channeled to Class C meaning Class C shares are not affected by the Moratorium.

We confirm that the minutes are still under review by the regulator, Capital Markets Authority (CMA), Trustees (NatBank Trustees and Investment Services Limited) and Amana Capital Limited. We will share them immediately upon finalization and approval as earlier communicated in our holding statement dated 26th March 2020.


Angelica _ann
#19 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2020 10:42:19 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/7/2012
Posts: 11,481
Jimmii wrote:
A client on Amana received the below communication, yes their "money drank water"

=====================

Below are extract of minutes and resolutions passed during the extra ordinary general meeting held on 28th February 2020.

Update on Class A Shares

Following the directive from CMA in August 2018 to impair the Nakumatt Holdings CP (NHL CP) within two (2) financial years effective on 31st December 2018 and further due to the outcome of the Nakumatt creditors decision to liquidate the retailer, and subsequent communication during the last Extra ordinary meeting held on 28th February 2020, the Class A shares has been impaired.

Update on Class B Shares

The moratorium Period on Class B of the Amana Shilling Fund was extended by a further six (‘6’) months up to and including September 6, 2020. During the moratorium period, the interest from investments will continue to be accrued and will be distributed at the end of the moratorium period based on the realized amounts.

Creation of Class C Shares

Class C was created for any new contributions from existing and new clients during the moratorium period. Contributions made from 15th January till the end of the moratorium period will be channeled to Class C meaning Class C shares are not affected by the Moratorium.

We confirm that the minutes are still under review by the regulator, Capital Markets Authority (CMA), Trustees (NatBank Trustees and Investment Services Limited) and Amana Capital Limited. We will share them immediately upon finalization and approval as earlier communicated in our holding statement dated 26th March 2020.




So since this thing came to light in 2018, guys are still investing in this fund?

Then class B, why suffer consequences you were not part of?
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Home | . .. Investor | .. . Groups | .. . SME | . . . Market | .. . Club SK | . ..... About Wazua | . .. Search | . ..Sitemap | . ..Support | . ..Disclaimer | . ..Privacy Policy | . ..Terms of Use | . .. Contact Us
Copyright © 2020 Wazua.co.ke. All Rights Reserved.