Home SK - Stocks, Property, Investment Chamas - Investment Groups BIZ - Small Business Soko - Market Wazua Life About Wazua
SIGN IN REGISTER
Monday, Jun 17, 2019
Club SK
To contribute to these and use other features, please register.
LATEST DISCUSSIONS
Prime Minister Matiang'i [32]
President Uhuru Kenyatta 2nd Term - 2017/2022 [356]
Help out a Depressed Sister! [33]
HOW TO JOIN ILLUMINATI SECRET SOCIETY +27734818506 [3]
POTUS TRUMP [1297]
Cricket World Cup 2019 [15]
Switched at birth [7]
Mike Sonko-The Hidiot [133]
Islamic lost love spells caster +27734818506 عجلة ... [1]
Pornography. [36]
Effective fumigation - Cafe [7]
Jubilee Budget 2019/2020 [7]
What is Kenya doing about Ebola? [8]
What Happened??? [1]
Mastermind Tobacco tycoon dies [41]
 
Forum Jump








Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages123>
Let's talk salaries
2012
#1 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2019 10:20:37 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/9/2009
Posts: 6,357
Location: Nairobi
What do you think is a good salary to sustain someone in Nairobi without worries?

I was surprised to see in today's dailies that only 2.8% Kenyans earn over 100k. Then I thought of all these tusubarus on the roads...

Stand for something or you will fall for anything. Today's mighty oak is yesterday's nut that held its ground. Rosa Parks
Jon Jones
#2 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2019 11:37:40 PM
Rank: New-farer


Joined: 9/11/2015
Posts: 92
Location: Thika
In my opinion 300k net. Live off 100k and invest 200k. That's 2.4 million per year for investments which is pretty decent. 100k is enough to live on and drive etc in Nairobi assuming you are single or have only one kid and a working spouse.
Since men have learned to shoot without missing, I have learned to fly without perching
Mike Ock
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2019 12:19:44 AM
Rank: Member


Joined: 1/22/2015
Posts: 631
Jon Jones wrote:
In my opinion 300k net. Live off 100k and invest 200k. That's 2.4 million per year for investments which is pretty decent. 100k is enough to live on and drive etc in Nairobi assuming you are single or have only one kid and a working spouse.


I concur. Any single person who spends over 200k in a month in Kenya has a demon in his life that will finish him. The killer demons are usually flossing, madame, drugs and alcohol.
2012
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2019 11:03:18 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/9/2009
Posts: 6,357
Location: Nairobi
Jon Jones wrote:
In my opinion 300k net. Live off 100k and invest 200k. That's 2.4 million per year for investments which is pretty decent. 100k is enough to live on and drive etc in Nairobi assuming you are single or have only one kid and a working spouse.


And the rent would be how much?

Stand for something or you will fall for anything. Today's mighty oak is yesterday's nut that held its ground. Rosa Parks
Jon Jones
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2019 12:05:20 PM
Rank: New-farer


Joined: 9/11/2015
Posts: 92
Location: Thika
2012 wrote:
Jon Jones wrote:
In my opinion 300k net. Live off 100k and invest 200k. That's 2.4 million per year for investments which is pretty decent. 100k is enough to live on and drive etc in Nairobi assuming you are single or have only one kid and a working spouse.


And the rent would be how much?

No idea. People are different. For example some people drink, others don't. It is not an exact science and this is just my opinion. Personally I would use 30k rent and 70k expenses.
Since men have learned to shoot without missing, I have learned to fly without perching
Shak
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2019 5:13:49 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 2/22/2009
Posts: 2,292
Location: Africa
Jon Jones wrote:
2012 wrote:
Jon Jones wrote:
In my opinion 300k net. Live off 100k and invest 200k. That's 2.4 million per year for investments which is pretty decent. 100k is enough to live on and drive etc in Nairobi assuming you are single or have only one kid and a working spouse.


And the rent would be how much?

No idea. People are different. For example some people drink, others don't. It is not an exact science and this is just my opinion. Personally I would use 30k rent and 70k expenses.

Deduct school fees and utilities from that. You'll be left with next to nothing if anything at all
hamburglar
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2019 6:07:35 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 12/17/2011
Posts: 862
Jon Jones wrote:
In my opinion 300k net. Live off 100k and invest 200k. That's 2.4 million per year for investments which is pretty decent. 100k is enough to live on and drive etc in Nairobi assuming you are single or have only one kid and a working spouse.


I don’t want to sound arrogant or proud, but while saving 200k per month is a good goal, I don’t know if someone can live comfortably on 100k a month in this Nairobi. Rent in a decent neighborhood is already 50k+. How are you really supposed to live on the other 50k a month while paying all those other bills? Gas (petrol) per month on a decent car is about 15k, light bill, food, entertainment. I am just not sure about 100k.
Jon Jones
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2019 7:04:40 PM
Rank: New-farer


Joined: 9/11/2015
Posts: 92
Location: Thika
hamburglar wrote:
Jon Jones wrote:
In my opinion 300k net. Live off 100k and invest 200k. That's 2.4 million per year for investments which is pretty decent. 100k is enough to live on and drive etc in Nairobi assuming you are single or have only one kid and a working spouse.


I don’t want to sound arrogant or proud, but while saving 200k per month is a good goal, I don’t know if someone can live comfortably on 100k a month in this Nairobi. Rent in a decent neighborhood is already 50k+. How are you really supposed to live on the other 50k a month while paying all those other bills? Gas (petrol) per month on a decent car is about 15k, light bill, food, entertainment. I am just not sure about 100k.

You probably earn more, that's why. Comfortable is relative and you may already be used to luxuries not available to the common man. A single man will live very comfortably in Nairobi spending 100k per month on all expenses. The OP asked for a comfortable life, not luxurious life. 30k will get you a decent two bedroom apartment within a 20 km radius from CBD with secure parking. 70k is enough to maintain a basic 1500cc Premio, drink every Friday+nyama choma etc. 100k is a lot of money to spend for a bachelor or a man with a low maintenance employed girlfriend. However, I agree that the budget may exceed 100k if a kid comes into the picture because there will be need for at least 3 bedrooms (50k stand alone house in a gated estate), and normal expenses that come along with kids e.g live-n househelp, medical check-ups etc. So, 100k expenses may be a very tough call to live comfortably when raising a child. Say 150k if there is a kid. So, spend 150k and save/invest 150k.
Since men have learned to shoot without missing, I have learned to fly without perching
Ryko
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2019 7:54:23 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 5/27/2016
Posts: 248
Location: Nairobi
Avoid Kids and and an expensive woman...... you will be peaceful until age catches up
I work so I can afford the amount of alcohol required to continue going to work
newfarer
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2019 8:10:06 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 3/19/2010
Posts: 3,151
Location: Uganda
90% of salary earning employees earn less than 100k married or otherwise.the trick is to adjust as the fortunes change.try to live within means and take that as the comfortable life in that season.some start down there but through hardwork and honesty later live a relatively comfortable life in a third world country standards
punda amecheka
madhaquer
#11 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2019 8:22:12 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 11/10/2010
Posts: 218
Location: Nairobi
...
Lolest!
#12 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2019 9:34:57 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 3/18/2011
Posts: 11,492
Location: Kianjokoma
hamburglar wrote:
Jon Jones wrote:
In my opinion 300k net. Live off 100k and invest 200k. That's 2.4 million per year for investments which is pretty decent. 100k is enough to live on and drive etc in Nairobi assuming you are single or have only one kid and a working spouse.


I don’t want to sound arrogant or proud, but while saving 200k per month is a good goal, I don’t know if someone can live comfortably on 100k a month in this Nairobi. Rent in a decent neighborhood is already 50k+. How are you really supposed to live on the other 50k a month while paying all those other bills? Gas (petrol) per month on a decent car is about 15k, light bill, food, entertainment. I am just not sure about 100k.

50K rent is not considered decent. It's considered rich. Decent ni kitu 15-30(single/small family)

If you don't believe, check all these popular places where your comfortable working class & biz people live- Ruaka, Thindigua etc

Kilimani isn't for kila mtu
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
hamburglar
#13 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2019 3:58:14 AM
Rank: Member


Joined: 12/17/2011
Posts: 862
Jon Jones wrote:
hamburglar wrote:
Jon Jones wrote:
In my opinion 300k net. Live off 100k and invest 200k. That's 2.4 million per year for investments which is pretty decent. 100k is enough to live on and drive etc in Nairobi assuming you are single or have only one kid and a working spouse.


I don’t want to sound arrogant or proud, but while saving 200k per month is a good goal, I don’t know if someone can live comfortably on 100k a month in this Nairobi. Rent in a decent neighborhood is already 50k+. How are you really supposed to live on the other 50k a month while paying all those other bills? Gas (petrol) per month on a decent car is about 15k, light bill, food, entertainment. I am just not sure about 100k.

You probably earn more, that's why. Comfortable is relative and you may already be used to luxuries not available to the common man. A single man will live very comfortably in Nairobi spending 100k per month on all expenses. The OP asked for a comfortable life, not luxurious life. 30k will get you a decent two bedroom apartment within a 20 km radius from CBD with secure parking. 70k is enough to maintain a basic 1500cc Premio, drink every Friday+nyama choma etc. 100k is a lot of money to spend for a bachelor or a man with a low maintenance employed girlfriend. However, I agree that the budget may exceed 100k if a kid comes into the picture because there will be need for at least 3 bedrooms (50k stand alone house in a gated estate), and normal expenses that come along with kids e.g live-n househelp, medical check-ups etc. So, 100k expenses may be a very tough call to live comfortably when raising a child. Say 150k if there is a kid. So, spend 150k and save/invest 150k.


This is about right. I would think with that money you would at least need to live on 150k and save 150k which is still very good savings per month. You only live once, if you are making that 300k per month, live a little, mix it up by living well now and setting yourself up for the future with the savings. 150k with a wife and a kid is okay, still not great but workable. Guys, don’t live in Kinoo or Roysambu if you are making 300k, live life kiasi, live in a decent neighborhood. Saving money is good but living a comfortable life is also very important. Life is too short.
Impunity
#14 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2019 5:41:22 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 3/2/2009
Posts: 26,007
Location: Masada
Shak wrote:
Jon Jones wrote:
2012 wrote:
Jon Jones wrote:
In my opinion 300k net. Live off 100k and invest 200k. That's 2.4 million per year for investments which is pretty decent. 100k is enough to live on and drive etc in Nairobi assuming you are single or have only one kid and a working spouse.


And the rent would be how much?

No idea. People are different. For example some people drink, others don't. It is not an exact science and this is just my opinion. Personally I would use 30k rent and 70k expenses.

Deduct school fees and utilities from that. You'll be left with next to nothing if anything at all


Again it depends on your type of school for your kidos and how much peer pressure you can withstand from akina johnies.
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

faa
#15 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2019 8:52:09 AM
Rank: Member


Joined: 5/8/2007
Posts: 694
hamburglar wrote:
Jon Jones wrote:
hamburglar wrote:
Jon Jones wrote:
In my opinion 300k net. Live off 100k and invest 200k. That's 2.4 million per year for investments which is pretty decent. 100k is enough to live on and drive etc in Nairobi assuming you are single or have only one kid and a working spouse.


I don’t want to sound arrogant or proud, but while saving 200k per month is a good goal, I don’t know if someone can live comfortably on 100k a month in this Nairobi. Rent in a decent neighborhood is already 50k+. How are you really supposed to live on the other 50k a month while paying all those other bills? Gas (petrol) per month on a decent car is about 15k, light bill, food, entertainment. I am just not sure about 100k.

You probably earn more, that's why. Comfortable is relative and you may already be used to luxuries not available to the common man. A single man will live very comfortably in Nairobi spending 100k per month on all expenses. The OP asked for a comfortable life, not luxurious life. 30k will get you a decent two bedroom apartment within a 20 km radius from CBD with secure parking. 70k is enough to maintain a basic 1500cc Premio, drink every Friday+nyama choma etc. 100k is a lot of money to spend for a bachelor or a man with a low maintenance employed girlfriend. However, I agree that the budget may exceed 100k if a kid comes into the picture because there will be need for at least 3 bedrooms (50k stand alone house in a gated estate), and normal expenses that come along with kids e.g live-n househelp, medical check-ups etc. So, 100k expenses may be a very tough call to live comfortably when raising a child. Say 150k if there is a kid. So, spend 150k and save/invest 150k.


This is about right. I would think with that money you would at least need to live on 150k and save 150k which is still very good savings per month. You only live once, if you are making that 300k per month, live a little, mix it up by living well now and setting yourself up for the future with the savings. 150k with a wife and a kid is okay, still not great but workable. Guys, don’t live in Kinoo or Roysambu if you are making 300k, live life kiasi, live in a decent neighborhood. Saving money is good but living a comfortable life is also very important. Life is too short.


Typical Stereotype, Kinoo or Roysambu to you are poor people places. You are very mistaken, So many billionaires & millionaires live in those places comfortably.

tycho
#16 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2019 10:35:33 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 7/1/2011
Posts: 8,455
Location: Nairobi
Talk of salaries is talk about employment in the formal sector, which accounts for very limited numbers in Kenya.

Normally in Kenya, most people do wages and side hustles that tend to have multiplier effects. For example you can guess how the police constable ended up having a Toyota packed outside the post.

Anyway, @2012's question doesn't appear to have an answer since worry has very little to do with wage or salary but has much to do with ambition and desire. Moreover, even if one had 2.4M per year for investment there'd still be worries about how exactly to invest the money especially when the time needed to run any venture is limited because one is busy earning the salary.

Worry in an urban set up is a function of how capital works and normally, the greater the capital the greater the worry.

Notice how so far guys are talking about consumption. But consumption has no end.

BTW, I'd be interested to know how many wazuans have gold as part of their possession and why they have it in the first place...
Lolest!
#17 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2019 10:37:54 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 3/18/2011
Posts: 11,492
Location: Kianjokoma
Impunity wrote:
Shak wrote:
Jon Jones wrote:
2012 wrote:
Jon Jones wrote:
In my opinion 300k net. Live off 100k and invest 200k. That's 2.4 million per year for investments which is pretty decent. 100k is enough to live on and drive etc in Nairobi assuming you are single or have only one kid and a working spouse.


And the rent would be how much?

No idea. People are different. For example some people drink, others don't. It is not an exact science and this is just my opinion. Personally I would use 30k rent and 70k expenses.

Deduct school fees and utilities from that. You'll be left with next to nothing if anything at all


Again it depends on your type of school for your kidos and how much peer pressure you can withstand from akina johnies.

Good point. Reminds me of this article
Quote:
Who makes your mind up for you? That would be you, right?

Of course we all want to believe we are independent spirits and free-minded souls; that we think for ourselves and come to our own conclusions. Sadly, for most of us that is just a delusion. Our minds are being made up for us, every day, and we don’t even know it.

https://sunwords.com/201...es-your-mind-up-for-you/
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Jon Jones
#18 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2019 9:06:37 PM
Rank: New-farer


Joined: 9/11/2015
Posts: 92
Location: Thika
Living without worries is relative. If you are well off, you can go and rent those 200k plus per month houses in exclusive gated estates in Rosslyn or other areas of Spring Valley but be prepared to live with rich Indians, I think that lifestyle requires 1 million plus per month. If you have some property generating that in rent, you can rest easy among the super elite without worries. If that 1 million monthly cashflow is from business, you can live there but with worries because businesses don't have stable income.
Since men have learned to shoot without missing, I have learned to fly without perching
2Czar
#19 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2019 9:32:04 PM
Rank: New-farer


Joined: 12/28/2018
Posts: 56
Location: Helsingborg, Sweden
Wow, you people call such high salaries that I can't even imagine the whole case anyway. How do you go with it ? 100k net is already not that low and 300k net ? Which job do you have ? Software engineer in Microsoft or something like that ?
tycho
#20 Posted : Friday, May 31, 2019 9:21:17 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 7/1/2011
Posts: 8,455
Location: Nairobi
2Czar wrote:
Wow, you people call such high salaries that I can't even imagine the whole case anyway. How do you go with it ? 100k net is already not that low and 300k net ? Which job do you have ? Software engineer in Microsoft or something like that ?


I'd say that some like @Hamburglar work for Trump inc.
Users browsing this topic
Guest
3 Pages123>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Home | . .. Investor | .. . Groups | .. . SME | . . . Market | .. . Club SK | . ..... About Wazua | . .. Search | . ..Sitemap | . ..Support | . ..Disclaimer | . ..Privacy Policy | . ..Terms of Use | . .. Contact Us
Copyright © 2019 Wazua.co.ke. All Rights Reserved.