Home SK - Stocks, Property, Investment Chamas - Investment Groups BIZ - Small Business Soko - Market Wazua Life About Wazua
SIGN IN REGISTER
Saturday, Sep 21, 2019
Investor
We’re investing funds for profit. Join us and wazua!
LATEST DISCUSSIONS
KCB 2018 and Beyond [378]
KenyaRe FY19 - FY23 (Both Inclusive) [406]
Housing Finance: HFCK a diamond in the rough [1942]
Kenya Airways...why ignore.. [13794]
KenGen HY 2019 [172]
Safaricom 2019/2020 [82]
NSE live prices mystocks, rich et al [36]
Kenya Power HY 2019 [74]
Copy Cat Neighbour problem [37]
Law Capping interest rates [2824]
Potential merger NIC + CBA [147]
KCB and NBK material announcement [217]
Kenya Economy Watch [2226]
411 on dividend and AGM [714]
KenGen or Kenya Power [6]

Forum Jump

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

DTB Group FY 2018
Superprime1
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 5:15:44 PM

Total operating income - Sh25.46bn

Total operating expenses - Sh14.49bn

PBT - Sh11bn

PAT - Sh7.08bn

Dividend maintained at Sh2.60/share, book closure May 23rd.
xxxxx
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 5:58:25 PM

Superprime1 wrote:

PBT - Sh11bn

PAT - Sh7.08bn

This kind of nonsensical dividend payout can only be entertained by VVS
Ericsson
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 9:45:45 PM

Net earnings up 2%
obiero
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 9:49:17 PM

xxxxx wrote:
Superprime1 wrote:

PBT - Sh11bn

PAT - Sh7.08bn

A certified terrorism financier according to DPP
COOP 5,500; KCB 7,500; KNRE 100,000; KQ 221,100
VituVingiSana
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 9:55:57 PM

xxxxx wrote:
Superprime1 wrote:

PBT - Sh11bn

PAT - Sh7.08bn

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
I see you have no love for Warren Buffett or Berkshire Hathaway Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
obiero
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 10:09:23 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
xxxxx wrote:
Superprime1 wrote:

PBT - Sh11bn

PAT - Sh7.08bn

I see you have no love for Warren Buffett or Berkshire Hathaway Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

The problem is that you get excited about such and brag about it, but someone selling smokies outside Mamlaka Hall makes more in a day than such an annual dividend payout by DTB
VituVingiSana
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 10:44:41 PM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
xxxxx wrote:
Superprime1 wrote:

PBT - Sh11bn

PAT - Sh7.08bn

The problem is that you get excited about such and brag about it, but someone selling smokies outside Mamlaka Hall makes more in a day than such an annual dividend payout by DTB

297mn (or so) shares x 2.60 = 750mn (or so) in dividends
The Mamlaka guy is doing very well if he makes more than 750mn/day! Applause Applause Applause
The smokies guy should be given KQ to run. Laughing out loudly
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
xxxxx
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 11:45:53 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
xxxxx wrote:
Superprime1 wrote:

PBT - Sh11bn

PAT - Sh7.08bn

I love WB but a dividend of 2.6 for a company trading at 130 or 150 is just careless. DTB should just declare a period of no dividends so its clear just like Centum did during Centum 1.0. That way investors are programmed to focus on capital gains.
VituVingiSana
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 12:06:35 AM

xxxxx wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
xxxxx wrote:
Superprime1 wrote:

PBT - Sh11bn

PAT - Sh7.08bn

I love WB but a dividend of 2.6 for a company trading at 130 or 150 is just careless. DTB should just declare a period of no dividends so its clear just like Centum did during Centum 1.0. That way investors are programmed to focus on capital gains.

"DTB should just declare a period of no dividends" You should propose that at the AGM. smile

"a dividend of 2.6 for a company trading at 130 or 150 is just careless" What would you call a share that trades at $300,000+ and pays zilch in dividends? Laughing out loudly

Question: If you know DTB's dividend policy is "stingy" and has been the case for years, if not decades, then why bother with DTB if you want a high dividend payout ratio?

BAT and BBK seem better suited for you.

Another is KCB with a decent payout ratio.

I have Centum whose dividend (vs PAT) is nothing to write home about. But I knew it going in. They retain "profits" to re-invest or pay down debt rather than have Rights Issues.
Another is Car & General. Lousy dividend vs PAT. Lousy for years. They retain "profits" to pay down debt, increase working capital and re-invest rather than have Rights Issues.

For both Centum and C&G, I focus on the Earnings Yield, NAV and potential future gains when they sell their "For Sale" investments.
xxxxx
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 6:02:06 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
xxxxx wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
xxxxx wrote:
Superprime1 wrote:

PBT - Sh11bn

PAT - Sh7.08bn

"DTB should just declare a period of no dividends" You should propose that at the AGM. smile

"a dividend of 2.6 for a company trading at 130 or 150 is just careless" What would you call a share that trades at $300,000+ and pays zilch in dividends? Laughing out loudly

Question: If you know DTB's dividend policy is "stingy" and has been the case for years, if not decades, then why bother with DTB if you want a high dividend payout ratio?

I have Centum whose dividend (vs PAT) is nothing to write home about. But I knew it going in. They retain "profits" to re-invest or pay down debt rather than have Rights Issues.
Another is Car & General. Lousy dividend vs PAT. Lousy for years. They retain "profits" to pay down debt, increase working capital and re-invest rather than have Rights Issues.

For both Centum and C&G, I focus on the Earnings Yield, NAV and potential future gains when they sell their "For Sale" investments.

But does the capital gains part of the equation work out for DTB?
slick
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2019 9:38:11 AM

Have guys received their DTB dividend cheques for 2019?I am yet to receive mine yet their book closure was on 24th May 2019 and dividend payout was on 26 June 2019
VituVingiSana
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2019 10:16:17 AM

xxxxx wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
xxxxx wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
xxxxx wrote:
Superprime1 wrote:

PBT - Sh11bn

PAT - Sh7.08bn

First, do you think it is a quality business? If yes, then read further.
Capital Gains will happen when it happens. For now, I am more concerned about their NPLs and provisioning policy.

WHETHER WE’RE TALKING ABOUT SOCKS OR STOCKS, I LIKE BUYING QUALITY MERCHANDISE WHEN IT IS MARKED DOWN – WARREN BUFFET
Marthegorgeous
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2019 10:23:24 AM

slick wrote:
Have guys received their DTB dividend cheques for 2019?I am yet to receive mine yet their book closure was on 24th May 2019 and dividend payout was on 26 June 2019

They do not send cheques but dividend notification letter. Then they credit your bank account with cash. My cash was well recieved on time.
slick
#14 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2019 12:26:57 PM

Marthegorgeous wrote:
slick wrote:

They do not send cheques but dividend notification letter. Then they credit your bank account with cash. My cash was well recieved on time.

@Marthegorgeous.It seems you registered to have your dividend funds directly transferred to your bank account.I normally receive the dividend cheques from DTB and my other counters.

Anyway,I called DTB Shares registry Department and they indicated they sent out the cheques in July and it seems my post office may have misplaced it.I will follow up with Post Office.

Thanks Marthegorgeous for confirming to me the dividend funds were disbursed
obiero
#15 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2019 4:46:59 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
xxxxx wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
xxxxx wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
xxxxx wrote:
Superprime1 wrote:

PBT - Sh11bn

PAT - Sh7.08bn

First, do you think it is a quality business? If yes, then read further.
Capital Gains will happen when it happens. For now, I am more concerned about their NPLs and provisioning policy.

WHETHER WE’RE TALKING ABOUT SOCKS OR STOCKS, I LIKE BUYING QUALITY MERCHANDISE WHEN IT IS MARKED DOWN – WARREN BUFFET

I am also worried about their NPL