Home SK - Stocks, Property, Investment Chamas - Investment Groups BIZ - Small Business Soko - Market Wazua Life About Wazua
SIGN IN REGISTER
Thursday, Jul 18, 2019
Market
To contribute to these and use other features, please register.
LATEST DISCUSSIONS
Treasury bars early access to pension money [3]
AC/DC/Solar Refrigerator [4]
1,000 Movies at Kes 3,000 [4]
Movies 4 Sale [12]
Where can I get Prado AdBlue at a good price [1]
Mitsubishi GDI Mechanic [13]
Prado consumption of 4 litre and 2.7litre [23]
Lost Original Car Keys-Replacement? [42]
Facebook money platform threat to mpesa [33]
Replacing a Zuku router: which one should I buy? [19]
Land for sale in Ruiru Owner late Kanyotu [7]
Olymp Trade's trading terms [14]
Steel SIP Construction Technology [4]
KODI [304]
HELP. Building a maisonette in phases [25]
 
Forum Jump








Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Kidero Parking Scam - True Story
sizzla
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2015 9:52:27 AM
Rank: Member


Joined: 6/10/2006
Posts: 201
Location: Nairobi
I work in the CBD and often use the streets 'kanjo' parking. I like convenience hence i normally pay seasonal parking when my pocket allows, either the one month or three months. So this 'respectable' Kanjo lady approaches me yesterday while leaving the parking slot and says she notices my seasonal parking is expiring today, 29th July.

I say 'yes' and she asks whether i mind promoting her. How i ask? She offers to renew my seasonal parking then i pay her in cash or mpesa. I agree but on condition, that i get the confirmation message from JamboPay and that when i dial *217# i will get a valid response. We agree to meet today at 7:00am at my usual parking spot. She calls me today at 6:50am asking if she should proceed to pay i say yes am on my way to town. I arrive 30 minutes later but still no JamboPay message. However she calls me and tells me that her 'person' has gone to City Hall to pay (FIRST ALARM BELL!!!).

I ask why would the person go physically when the system is online and one can pay thru mpesa? She gives a long story of system being down meeting targets blah blah..I tell her i have the money and i can give her cash as long as i get the JamboPay message. She tells me to go and takes my number promising to confirm later. However since i don't want to be clamped i 'wisely' decide to pay 300 bob for the day...so the system is up?? (2ND BELL!!!)

An hour later the lady calls me and tells me to check. Sure enough when i check parking status using *217# and on the online portal its reads one month seasonal ticket, 5000 bob expiring 29th August, 2015. I call the lady and tell her that i am sending mpesa, however i get curious and on checking the transaction history the last payment is the 300 bob i paid in the morning. On checking the receipt number for the 5000 bob the lady supposedly paid (online print receipt option), its the same with the one for the 300 bob paid earlier....hehe

In short, cyber-criminal IT guy in cahoots with 'respectable' Kanjo lady = Kidero Parking Scam
Njung'e
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2015 10:55:53 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 2/7/2007
Posts: 11,935
Location: Nairobi
walalala....
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
jerry
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2015 11:10:02 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 9/29/2006
Posts: 2,570
Njung'e wrote:
walalala....

Hot-bed of innovation!
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
Chaka
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2015 12:53:37 PM
Rank: Veteran


Joined: 2/16/2007
Posts: 2,079
What do you display as proof of payment?The printed receipt?
majimaji
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2015 1:17:56 PM
Rank: Veteran


Joined: 4/4/2007
Posts: 1,160
sizzla wrote:
I work in the CBD and often use the streets 'kanjo' parking. I like convenience hence i normally pay seasonal parking when my pocket allows, either the one month or three months. So this 'respectable' Kanjo lady approaches me yesterday while leaving the parking slot and says she notices my seasonal parking is expiring today, 29th July.

I say 'yes' and she asks whether i mind promoting her. How i ask? She offers to renew my seasonal parking then i pay her in cash or mpesa. I agree but on condition, that i get the confirmation message from JamboPay and that when i dial *217# i will get a valid response. We agree to meet today at 7:00am at my usual parking spot. She calls me today at 6:50am asking if she should proceed to pay i say yes am on my way to town. I arrive 30 minutes later but still no JamboPay message. However she calls me and tells me that her 'person' has gone to City Hall to pay (FIRST ALARM BELL!!!).

I ask why would the person go physically when the system is online and one can pay thru mpesa? She gives a long story of system being down meeting targets blah blah..I tell her i have the money and i can give her cash as long as i get the JamboPay message. She tells me to go and takes my number promising to confirm later. However since i don't want to be clamped i 'wisely' decide to pay 300 bob for the day...so the system is up?? (2ND BELL!!!)

An hour later the lady calls me and tells me to check. Sure enough when i check parking status using *217# and on the online portal its reads one month seasonal ticket, 5000 bob expiring 29th August, 2015. I call the lady and tell her that i am sending mpesa, however i get curious and on checking the transaction history the last payment is the 300 bob i paid in the morning. On checking the receipt number for the 5000 bob the lady supposedly paid (online print receipt option), its the same with the one for the 300 bob paid earlier....hehe

In short, cyber-criminal IT guy in cahoots with 'respectable' Kanjo lady = Kidero Parking Scam

did you mpesa the 5k?
nakujua
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2015 3:02:00 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/17/2009
Posts: 3,583
Location: Kenya
How does the electronic parking payment work, especially for the parking attendants - after one pays via the phone is one required to display some proof of payment ama the attendants just go round entering car number plates on their gadgets checking which one has not paid - I am assuming that's a lot of work for the attendants.
MaichBlack
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2015 5:40:40 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 7/22/2009
Posts: 7,263
@sizzla - Is your name Dennis Kioko???
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
Julie
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2015 7:36:46 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 12/2/2006
Posts: 604
Haiya....kunaswa nayo
shenzitype
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2015 9:33:28 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 2/13/2007
Posts: 57
It's simple.... since USSD *217# query "reads" the stored Mpesa byproduct data the kanjo (or is JamboPay) guys simply access the server where the data is stored and manually change the amount and validity date of your (the) transaction.

The Downside is they can change payment details of genuine payments to allocate to other m/v registration.

The solution is County government (or is it jambo pay) simply needs to restrict/control access to the servers where the mpesa data byproduct is saved.
instinct
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2015 8:01:15 AM
Rank: Member


Joined: 8/17/2007
Posts: 294
They could simply change it back to 300 in time for end month reconciliation and the joke would be on the client! But that system needs a thorough audit
sizzla
#11 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2015 9:41:22 AM
Rank: Member


Joined: 6/10/2006
Posts: 201
Location: Nairobi
MaichBlack wrote:
@sizzla - Is your name Dennis Kioko???



No its not...Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

@majimaji i haven't paid yet, the kanjo lady went silent on me. Apparently also systems are down today so i can't even check the current status.
nakujua
#12 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2015 9:59:40 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/17/2009
Posts: 3,583
Location: Kenya
nakujua wrote:
How does the electronic parking payment work, especially for the parking attendants - after one pays via the phone is one required to display some proof of payment ama the attendants just go round entering car number plates on their gadgets checking which one has not paid - I am assuming that's a lot of work for the attendants.

Naomba jibu tafadhali - anyone
sizzla
#13 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2015 10:02:38 AM
Rank: Member


Joined: 6/10/2006
Posts: 201
Location: Nairobi
nakujua wrote:
nakujua wrote:
How does the electronic parking payment work, especially for the parking attendants - after one pays via the phone is one required to display some proof of payment ama the attendants just go round entering car number plates on their gadgets checking which one has not paid - I am assuming that's a lot of work for the attendants.

Naomba jibu tafadhali - anyone



Basically one pays the daily or seasonal fee via m-wallet and a confirmation message is sent as proof of payment. The attendants have streets assigned to them and simply go round checking the vehicles via a mobile app.
nakujua
#14 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2015 4:16:36 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/17/2009
Posts: 3,583
Location: Kenya
sizzla wrote:
nakujua wrote:
nakujua wrote:
How does the electronic parking payment work, especially for the parking attendants - after one pays via the phone is one required to display some proof of payment ama the attendants just go round entering car number plates on their gadgets checking which one has not paid - I am assuming that's a lot of work for the attendants.

Naomba jibu tafadhali - anyone



Basically one pays the daily or seasonal fee via m-wallet and a confirmation message is sent as proof of payment. The attendants have streets assigned to them and simply go round checking the vehicles via a mobile app.

ahsante.
subaru
#15 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2015 2:55:05 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 3/15/2010
Posts: 378
Location: nairobie
http://www.businessdaily.../-/5gyjk9z/-/index.html

it seems some feathers were ruffled
MaichBlack
#16 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2015 3:15:15 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 7/22/2009
Posts: 7,263
sizzla wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
@sizzla - Is your name Dennis Kioko???



No its not...Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

You logged in on Wednesday (post #9) ignored the question the suddenly on Thursday you remembered you are not??

Okay. Let's say you are not.
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
sizzla
#17 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2015 3:59:59 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 6/10/2006
Posts: 201
Location: Nairobi
MaichBlack wrote:
sizzla wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
@sizzla - Is your name Dennis Kioko???



No its not...Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

You logged in on Wednesday (post #9) ignored the question the suddenly on Thursday you remembered you are not??

Okay. Let's say you are not.


Indeed i am not. Post #9 was by shenzi not me...
Rahatupu
#18 Posted : Tuesday, August 04, 2015 2:56:32 AM
Rank: Veteran


Joined: 12/4/2009
Posts: 1,938
Location: matano manne
I suspect the same trick was played on me. The cashier at the cash office charges me twice for land rates payments and the back office have to reconcile the payments. It takes my half day since they have to tengezea me a receipt with my payment indicated as 13000 once not twice. This is coordinated with Jambo pay. But my payment wasn't online. So I suspect it's a typed print out of a receipt they'd make me. Back office guys coordinate with jambo pay fellows to retrieve/edit server data is what I suspected happened.....the other paper work operations pertaining to payments are all manual hance the same maybe updated with a dubious receipt attachment. So client file is up to date always.
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Home | . .. Investor | .. . Groups | .. . SME | . . . Market | .. . Club SK | . ..... About Wazua | . .. Search | . ..Sitemap | . ..Support | . ..Disclaimer | . ..Privacy Policy | . ..Terms of Use | . .. Contact Us
Copyright © 2019 Wazua.co.ke. All Rights Reserved.